Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

I know, I know.  Thanksgiving is in two days, and I'm giving you a recipe that has nothing to do with turkey or pumpkin, what was I thinking?  I'll tell you what I was thinking.  I am without a doubt excited to overdose on all things Thanksgiving, but I save it until Thursday because I always have plenty of leftovers to last me through the weekend, and I don't want to get sick of those flavors before the day has come.  So, instead of calling the local pizza place to feed us before the feast, I wanted to make something that's the complete opposite of Thanksgiving- Mexican food. 
I've been making this recipe for a few years now, but it never had a name.  Then one day it came to us- it has all the components of a lasagna, but it's ingredients you find in Mexican food, so there you have it!  Mexican Lasagna.  This can easily be made a day or two ahead of time and then baked.  I also like to double the recipe and freeze one to make at a later date (up to 3 months). 
For the Sauce:
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 2 C. chicken stock
  • 1 Tb. cumin
  • 1 Tb. Mexican Hot Chili Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
For the Filling:
  • 12 corn tortillas, cut in half
  • 2 Tb. olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 bell peppers, diced
  • 2 jalepenos, ribs and seeds removed, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Tb. cilantro, chopped
  • the juice of half a lime
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 3 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 C. crumbled Queso Fresco

In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce.  Bring to a boil, then bring down to a simmer.  Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, then take off of the heat.


In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onions, peppers, jalepenos, and garlic and cook for 10 minutes.


Add the cilantro, beans, lime juice, salt and pepper to the onion and pepper mixture.  Cook for additonal 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.


Begin assembling the lasagna in a 13x9 pan.  Start with some sauce on the bottom, then 8 pieces of the tortilla, then the veggies, more sauce, and the cheese.  Continue this until you have three layers.  Your pan should look like this, from the bottom up-

    Sauce
    Tortillas
    Veggies
    Jack Cheese
    Queso Fresco
    Sauce
    Tortillas 
    Veggies
    Jack Cheese
    Queso Fresco
    Sauce
    Tortillas
    More Sauce
    Cheese


        Cook tightly covered in foil for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes or
        until cheese is melted and lasagna is bubbly.  Let rest for 15 minutes after taking it out of the oven
        so it doesn't fall apart when you serve it.  I like to garnish with sour cream, cilantro, and some
        crushed tortilla chips, but you can add whatever you like.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment